Maureen E. Belford
Math 6, 7 & 8 Teacher
Catholic education has been an integral part of my life. It started at home with my parents who were devout Catholics and who lived their faith each and every day. It was important to them that my two sisters and I receive a Catholic education. The three of us attended Assumption School in Westport, and we graduated from Central Catholic High School in Norwalk. I knew from an early age that I wanted to be a teacher, and God guided me towards a career in education in the Diocese of Bridgeport. I can happily say that I have never doubted where He sent me and have been blest to have taught in several schools throughout the Diocese. Teaching is my vocation; not just my job.
My first experience in teaching was fifth grade in Bridgeport. I stayed there for two years, and then, I was lucky enough to return to my parish school in Westport. At Assumption School, I taught religion in grades 7 and 8 and math in grades 5, 6, 7 and 8. I remained there until the school closed in 1991.
That is when I came to Stamford and Saint Cecilia School. I have had the privilege of teaching many children over the years and have watched them become successful men and women. Each student is a reminder to me that God gives all of us special gifts and talents, and it is my task, as an educator, to help every child “grow in wisdom and faith” and to guide them towards a fulfilling life.
I am excited to be part of the Catholic Academy of Stamford and hope that I will impart the mission of our school “to foster and nurture its students in the Gospel Values of our Catholic Faith” and always encourage my students “to love God, learning and one another.”
- Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (Western Connecticut State College)
- Master of Arts in Teaching (Sacred Heart University)
- Connecticut Standard Certification (PK-8)
- CONCERT Certification (Diocese of Bridgeport)
- Educator in Diocese of Bridgeport (Grades 5-8)
- Recipient of Tim Russert “Making A Difference Award” (2003)
- Featured in Fairfield County Catholic newspaper (November 1989 issue)
- Featured in Teaching K-8 Magazine (April 1988 issue)